Human remains have been taken from a mausoleum at a Melbourne cemetery, with police asking for witnesses to come forward.
Officers were called to the Footscray General Cemetery in Melbourne’s inner-west on Tuesday to find a coffin removed from the mausoleum and the remains taken, Detective Acting Inspector Ben Jarman told ABC radio.
He would not confirm reports a head had been taken and said the families involved were distressed.
“There’s very little CCTV at the time. We’ve done a full canvass the area and investigations is very early in the stage. So we are conducting a full investigation,” Detective Inspector Jarman said.
Police are expected to hold a press conference later on Wednesday to appeal for witnesses.