NEWS. RESOURCES. DADVICE. THE HOME OF MEN-TERTAINMENT

Death toll from Qld floods rises to 12

SHARE

Live

A man in his 60s has been found dead in a car submerged in floodwaters in south-east Queensland, taking the death toll for the disaster to 12.

His body was found late on Sunday night in Wondai, in the South Burnett Region, the Queensland Fire and Emergency Service confirmed on Monday.

A woman, also in her 60s, who was a passenger in the car managed to get out and was found clinging to a tree.

Overnight on Sunday, Queensland’s south-east was again lashed by heavy rain, with hail reported in Logan.

Almost 80 millimetres of rain fell in Brisbane, which was deluged last week when the Brisbane River rose above its banks.

The Bureau of Meteorology has forecast more severe storms and damaging winds for eastern parts of Brisbane, Ipswich, Logan and Gympie on Monday.

The damages bill for the disaster is expected to be more than $1 billion, including insurance claims and major infrastructure repair, but the final number is still to be determined.

“For an event that lasted just three days, it’s going to have a big impact on our economy and on our budget,” Treasurer Cameron Dick said on Sunday.

There are still 140 people in evacuation centres and thousands of homes still without power.

‘This has really packed a punch, these floods have had a big impact on people and it’s going to take not just weeks but months for people to recover,” Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said on Sunday.

Meanwhile, the state Labor government has donated $2.1 million to charitable groups supporting flood survivors.

The donation includes $500,000 each to the Australian Red Cross, Lifeline, The Salvation Army and Vinnies, and another $100,000 to GIVIT.

Ms Palaszczuk said the organisations had a track record of getting money to where it was needed.

Elsewhere, Queensland’s “mud army” had been stood down after an “incredible effort” to help with the floods cleanup, due to the uncertain weather, Brisbane City Council said.

“The Australian Defence Force and council officers will continue clean-up activities around the city,” it said.

“The safety of all volunteers, staff and the people of Brisbane is paramount, especially with further thunderstorms predicted and unstable weather conditions.”

Source: Read More

We’ve Already Come Too Far To End This Now.

Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter

Get notified about new articles